This recipe is a bit of a cheat using shop bought, pre rolled, gluten free pastry. However it does include the process of caramelising onions which takes about 45 minutes, so make sure you leave yourself some time to let them cool before assembling the tarts. Makes 3-4 tarts.
For caramelised onions:
3 large red onions.
2 tbsp of garlic olive oil. (normal is fine but garlic does add to taste)
3 tbsp of balsamic vinegar.
Pinch of salt.
1 tbsp of brown sugar (caster is also fine)
1 packet of pre rolled, gluten free pastry. (obviously if you want to make your own you can)
3-4 tbsp of green pesto.
To caramelise onions:
1. Start by chopping onions into thin long strands.
2. Add to pan with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and sugar.
3. Cook on a low to medium heat for about 45 minutes, stirring at regular intervals to ensure everything is mixed and nothing is sticking to the bottom of the pan.
4. The onions will eventually start to caramelise and go a nice deep purple colour and of a sticky consistency.
5. Put in a bowl and leave to the side to cool, as adding hot ingredients to the pastry can cause problems with rising.
Preheat the oven to 170*C fan oven.
1. Cut pastry into approximately 5cm circles.
2. First add the pesto, spread a layer out across the base of your pastry rings.
3. Add about a table spoon and a half of the onions on top of the pesto.
4. Tear up the mozzarella and spread across the onions.
5. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 20 minutes until the outside of the pastry has browned nicely.
6. Serve with chips or a salad!